One can improve the response time by using the WAN optimization controllers (WOCs). They can be deployed on either end of the WAN link. A WAN Optimization Controller is connected to WAN Routers on the Local Area Network (LAN) side and it is mostly a Customer Premises Equipment (CPE). It can also be integrated with servers and customer devices. WOCs at data centers and remote locations can increase the application performance over WANs. WOCs are focused on improving the response time of business.
WAN optimization controllers can avoid network latency with the help of protocol optimization techniques. Depending on the WAN traffic, WAN optimizations controllers also perform data prioritization. QoS Policing and traffic shaping are also key features of using WAN optimization controllers. There are various types of WOCs products based on the functionality provided by them.
Some of the features that can be found in WAN optimization controllers include:
- Enterprise Content Delivery Network (CDN) features, which enables speed delivery of live and on-demand media content
- Acceleration features which are application-specific, for Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), TCP, and access for Common Internet File System (CIFS)
- Security features like Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) optimization, and tunnel encryption between WAN optimization controllers and encrypted discs
- WOC enables speedy delivery of applications to the systems which are remotely located, through the client’s software.
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Active Directory, Domain Name system (DNS) and print server for business organizations that require an integrated branch-office appliance.
- Router features integrated WOC devices helps in selection of route and policy-based routing.
- WOC helps in monitoring and enforcing rules, which are specific for each application.
The APM consulting gives the information about right controllers required for the business.