As placing dental Implant requires a surgical process, proper planning and preparations prior surgery are essential for efficient, accurate and successful installation. This includes certain clinical examinations, treatment plan and some instructions to patients before surgery, thus preparing for the Implant procedure.
Preparations prior dental implant surgery
After the discussion of dental implant treatment, the dentist will examine your mouth thoroughly and asks you to take certain radiographs of your jaw for assessing the jaw condition, thus allowing the dentist to plan the placement of implants.
Following preparations are done prior dental implant surgery
1) Preoperative examinations
- Blood Test
Immune diseases such as diabetes, hypertension may be risky factors in dental implants surgery. So any disease that interfere with dental implant surgery are found, treating it should be the first priority.
- Mouth Examination
Mouth is thoroughly examined by the dentist for determining the size of the jaw for implants to be placed. Any gum disease, tooth cavities or biting anomalies should be treated before implant surgery.
Sufficiency of bone height and thickness is needed for implants to be placed. X-ray examination is done for confirming bone volume and tooth shape.
- CT scan
Computed tomography (CT) is done for verifying size, form and the location of each organ. Treatment plan for dental implant surgery is done based on the results from these examinations.
2) Treatment Plan
After thorough investigations, treatment plan is made. This includes the number of implants you need, type of implants to be used and condition of jawbone. The planning process involves various specialists from dental field who have specialization of oral maxillofacial surgeries.
3) Instructions to Patients Prior Surgery
- Tell the dentist about your current medical conditions.
- If smoking or drinking, quit. As this may actually lead to failure of dental implant surgery.
- Moreover, your health condition should be good and maintained, as in case of cold, fever etc., the surgery needs to be prolonged.
- Follow the treatment plan
- Eating and drinking must be avoided six hours before dental implant procedure.
- Ask your friend or family member to come along with you, as you will not be allowed to drive for at least 24 hours following implant surgery.