The work culture in today’s life is different from the primitive world. However, human beings emotional and instinctive defense systems were designed to survive the primitive cave man age that lasted a million years. So our natural biological system is really a distorted one, where we tend to forget that our biological system is not meant to fight a tiger in our corporate working life. And if we keep on doing something which is not meant for us, this system is bound to crash. Stress is the fight between automatic responses of the primitive defense mechanisms and the challenges of modern life. And before our body crashes, we must do something about it. Doing some kind of stress relief activities can help a lot in this direction. But which of the activities will be effective?
- Change in Lifestyle- Our erratic lifestyle contributes a lot to the stress. So, the primary stress relief activity is to change it to a healthy lifestyle. Go to bed early so that you can get a good night’s rest. Getting late in the night, when your time to report to work is fixed only reduces your sleeping time. Detach yourself from internet and emails. Reduce junk food. Eat fresh food regularly. Avoid skipping your breakfast. Incorporate physical exercises in your everyday life. Make it a point to smile regularly throughout the day. Take small breaks and go for small weekend trips, whenever possible. These little things will detoxify your mind of accumulated stress and you will start feeling better.
- Pursue a Hobby- Dig out your old forgotten hobby that used to be your passion once. It can be cooking, writing, knitting, traveling. Distracting yourself from the stress causing factors is enough to reduce the level of stress. At the top of it, the feeling that you are doing something you love to and best at will boost your moral. You will love every moment of it and your cluttered mind will be cleared.
- Gardening- This is one stress relief activity which is beneficial not only for you but for the environment as well. At the same time, it has been proven by the experts that this is one of the most effective way to reduce the stress level. Being close to nature and dealing with soil reduces cortisol level- a hormone responsible for stress in us. If you don’t have a lawn or garden, utilize your patio or balcony. You can consult online resources to know more about using small spaces for gardening. You will feel the change in you and rediscover yourself.
- Cooking- You can solve your stress and anxiety related problems gastronomically. Cooking is a great way to unwind yourself. More you try new recipes better you will feel. Also, by cooking yourself, you will be avoid the unhealthy junk or ready to eat.
- Traveling- If your boss and pocket allows, then there cannot be anything better to get rid of stress other than traveling. This not only distracts you and keep you away from the stress, but also enriches you. You visit new places, meet more people and get exposure of things that you did not know exist. The trips don’t have to be extravagant. Keep them economical so that you can increase their frequency.